As the summer nears its end, and the weather starts to cool, children are preparing to return to school. Every fall, the students of the islands travel back to their respective classrooms for nine months of studies.
Parents rejoice as now they don’t have to find some way to entertain their children for the majority of the day, and students lament over hours of study and homework they’re being subjected to. As the school year nears and begins, the educational institutions around the islands prepare for the return of students, old and new. Below is a list of upcoming events and start dates for the schools in our community. Have a great school year!
Friday Harbor Schools
• First day, Thursday, Aug. 29.
• Friday Harbor Elementary School’s Back to School open house, 2-3 p.m., Wednesday, Au.g 28.
• Friday Harbor Middle School’s sixth-grade open house, 1-3 p.m., Wednesday, Aug. 28.
Friday Harbor High School
• New student orientation, noon-1:30 p.m., Wednesday, Aug. 28.
• Ninth-grade parent orientation 6-6:30 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 5.
• Back to School Night, 6:30-8 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 5.
• First day, Tuesday, Sept. 3. First day of kindergarten, Friday, Sept. 6.
• Lopez Island Elementary School’s open house, 5-6 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 12.
• Orcas Christian School
• First day, Tuesday, Aug. 27.
• Back to school night, Wednesday, Aug. 28.
Orcas Island Schools
• PTSA/OISD welcome back and open house, 4-6 p.m., Wednesday, Aug. 28. First day, Sept. 3. First day of kindergarten, Sept. 9.
Spring Street International School
• Backpack meeting and family picnic, 2:30-5 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 29.
• First day, Tuesday, Sept. 3.