The San Juan County Sheriff’s office responded to the following calls.
• A deputy responded to a welfare check in Friday Harbor. The person the deputy was sent to check on was found to be deceased. Upon investigation, it appeared the person died of natural causes. A report was completed and sent to the coroner’s office.
• A San Juan deputy responded to a report of fraud. The caller had very little information to give and there are no suspects or workable leads at this time.
• Deputies responded to a possible domestic incident near Orcas Road. After an investigation was completed, one of the individuals was transported to Friday Harbor.
• San Juan deputies responded to a citizen assist.
A deputy on San Juan responded to a couple of loose dogs that killed some domestic livestock. The incident was handled civilly between owners.
• A deputy on San Juan responded to an agency assist.
• On San Juan, a deputy responded to a civil call.
• A deputy on Orcas responded to an order violation in Eastsound. The suspect was arrested and transported to Friday Harbor.
• An Orcas deputy reported on a theft from an outbuilding/shed sometime during the month of January. There were no leads on the possible suspect.
• A deputy on San Juan responded to a vandalism call. There are no suspects or leads at this time.
• Deputies responded to a reported theft-in-progress of firewood from private property. Deputies located the suspects and forwarded the case to the prosecutor’s office for charging.
• A deputy on San Juan stopped the driver of a vehicle that had defective brake lights. The driver was issued a citation for not having insurance.
• A San Juan deputy stopped the driver of a vehicle for traveling 42 mph in a posted 25 mph speed zone. The driver was issued a citation for speeding.
• Deputies on San Juan responded to a report of an injury accident. When they arrived on the scene, it was discovered that a dump truck with the box up hit and tore out cable lines. There were no apparent injuries.
• A San Juan deputy stopped a driver who had a suspended driver’s license. The driver was arrested for driving with a suspended license-third degree and for possession of methamphetamine.
• A deputy on San Juan responded to an accident without injury call. The collision occurred on private road.
• On San Juan, a member of the community reported she was the victim of an assault by a known suspect in July, 2020. The reporting party didn’t want the complaint to be prosecuted, and wished to file an information-only report.
• A deputy on Orcas conducted a traffic stop. The driver was issued a citation for speeding, 53 mph in a 35 mile per hour zone.
• An Orcas deputy investigated a report of a noise/explosion on Enchanted Forest Road.
• A San Juan deputy responded to a report of an unconscious person. When the deputy arrived, he found the person had died; the death did not appear to be suspicious.
• A deputy on San Juan arrested a person driving without a valid license.
• An Orcas deputy located a vehicle with Washington registration tabs affixed to a California license plate. The improper tab was confiscated and a report, written.
• A San Juan deputy responded to a report of multiple animal bites. The incident remains under investigation.
• A deputy on San Juan arrested a driver for driving with a suspended license. The driver was also issued a citation for not having insurance.
• San Juan deputies received a complaint about a loose dog. The dog and its owner were contacted. It was the owner, however, who was issued a warning for a dog-at-large violation.
• A deputy received a call from a Lopezian concerned for another resident who had posted to a Lopez community webpage. The reporting person stated they were concerned the person might be in emotional distress based on the post.
• An Orcas deputy was dispatched to a callback for an incident that had occurred earlier in the day.
• Deputies were dispatched to a report of unknown trouble in the Eastsound area. The investigation is ongoing.
• A deputy on San Juan stopped a speeding driver, who was ultimately issued a citation for driving 65 mph in a 45 mile per hour zone.
• On San Juan, a deputy stopped another speeding driver who was given a citation for driving 42 mph in a 25 mile per hour zone.
• A deputy on Orcas stopped a driver for displaying an expired registration on their vehicle, and for a defective brake light. The driver did not have insurance and was issued a citation for the insurance violation. A warning was issued for the other violations.
• San Juan deputies were dispatched to a report of a domestic incident in Friday Harbor. No crime occurred and the parties separated for the night.
• A deputy was dispatched to a vehicle accident on Orcas Road. The driver fled the scene before law enforcement arrived. The vehicle was impounded.
• On Lopez, a deputy issued a driver a warning for speeding and for failing to notify the state’s Dept. of Licensing of a change of address.
• A deputy on Lopez issued a driver a warning for driving with a load over the legal width.
• A deputy on San Juan stopped a driver of a vehicle for speeding. The driver was issued a citation for driving 65 mph in a 45 mile per hour zone and for an expired registration of more than two months.
• A deputy on Orcas received a fraud complaint. An elderly couple reported having received a call from someone they thought was their grandson. He was reported to be in jail and in need of bail money. The couple sent two large cash payments to the fraudulent jailers before figuring out they were being defrauded.
• A San Juan deputy stopped the driver of a vehicle for an improper display of license plates. The driver was issued a citation for not having vehicle insurance.
• A deputy on Orcas took a report of property damage.
• A San Juan deputy responded to a report of threats in Friday Harbor. The reporting party wanted the incident documented and did not wish to pursue the incident further.
• A deputy stopped the driver of a vehicle on Orcas Road for speeding. The driver was subsequently issued a citation for speeding and given verbal warnings for a defective headlight and for improperly displayed vehicle tabs.