Submitted by the San Juan Makers Guild.
The Orcas Farm Tours invite explorers of all ages to enjoy safe, outdoor learning experiences on any of seven local farms with shell fishery and winery stops.
Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 2-3, open farm days invite self-guided walkabouts, tours, free samplings and farm stand purchasing. Great way to really SEE where our food comes from. Fun for all ages.
For details see farmtourssanjuans.com.
Participating farms and locations are:
• Orcas Farm, 120 Byrle Hill Rd, Olga — a beautiful historic homestead and market garden, walkabouts and farm stand open Sat., 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
• Kaj Dawg Farm, 141 Cadden Lane, Eastsound — learn about the innovative Orcas Community Participatory Ag Project, guided tours Sat., 11 a.m. and 1 p.m., open 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
• Lum Farm, 1071 Crow Valley Rd., Eastsound —sample cheese, meet the sheep, goats, pigs, and chickens, and learn about the wonderful wool felt products made on the farm. Walkabouts and farm stand open Sat., 12-4 p.m.
• Bullocks Farm & Nursery, 890 Channel Rd, Deer Harbor — visit the world-renowned permaculture homestead that has been growing food, art, and innovative thinkers for 40 years. Short tours Sun., 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Open Sat. and Sun., 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. including nursery sales.
• Slanted Apple Farm, 842 Slanted Apple Lane, Eastsound – explore an 1879 heritage fruit orchard, sample fresh press apple juice, pet a goat, hold a chicken, laugh at a duck! Pottery, baked goods and music too! Open Sat. and Sun., 12-4 p.m.
• Buck Bay Shellfish, 117 E.J. Young Rd., Olga — listen to the story of how oysters and clams are grown, harvested and cared for. Talks and samplings Saturday and Sunday., 12-5 p.m.
• Crazy Crow Farm, 1841 Crow Valley Rd., Eastsound. Learn about sustainable agriculture methods at this permaculture farming project now in its fourth year. All activities are free. Open Sun., 10a.m. – 2 p.m..
• West Beach Farm, 927 West Beach Rd, Eastsound. Come meet the animals —cows, sheep, pigs, chickens, and goats with sheep shearing and compost demonstrations. Market Garden produce for sale. Open Sun., 10 a.m. -2 p.m.
• Orcas Island Winery, 2371 Crow Valley Rd, Eastsound — discover the diverse flavors of wines grown in Washington and made on Orcas. Gourmet picnic foods with local cheese for outdoor dining. Open Sun., 12-6 p.m.
Orcas Farm Tours are sponsored by the San Juan Islands Conservation District, SJI Agricultural Guild, the SJ Makers Guild, WSU Extension, Orcas Food Coop, Orcas Island Market, Darvill’s Book Store, participating farms and community partners.