The San Juan County Sheriff’s Office responded to the following calls:
• A deputy was dispatched to a hit-and-run in Friday Harbor. A report was taken.
• A Lopez Island deputy was called to the Hunter Bay boat ramp regarding children in a kayak who were being blown further offshore by the wind. The children were rescued by a U.S. Coast Guard crew and returned safely to shore.
• An Orcas driver was stopped for not wearing a seatbelt. The driver also had an expired license and was cited.
• A deputy responded to a shoplifting complaint from an Eastsound business. The suspect was located and detained at another nearby retailer. The stolen item was recovered. The suspect was issued a criminal citation for theft in the third degree.
• Deputies responded to a domestic dispute in Friday Harbor. The incident was investigated and settled by contact.
• A deputy was dispatched to the San Juan Island area in reference to a domestic dispute. The incident was found to be verbal only. The parties were separated and a report was taken.
• An Orcas driver stopped for not wearing a seatbelt. The driver said it was uncomfortable and was cited.
• A deputy responded to a report of custodial interference on San Juan. He spoke to both parties and confirmed the child was not coming for visitation per the parenting plan. The case is active at this time.
• A deputy was contacted about an illegal dumping that occurred in the Friday Harbor area. The caller said a nearby multi-residence property was dumping material on the caller’s property. The deputy contacted the property’s manager, and the incident was settled by contact.
• A Lopez deputy stopped a motorist after he saw the person speeding on Hummel Lake Road. The deputy subsequently determined that the driver’s license was suspended; the driver was issued a citation.
• Deputies responded to a report of a juvenile who was under the influence of liquor. The juvenile was transported to the hospital and the case is being referred to juvenile probation.
• A Lopez Island deputy was called to investigate a broken car window. The damage was caused by a rock kicked up by a weed-whacker being used by a landscaping crew. The vehicle owner was provided contact information for the company.
• A deputy was dispatched to an unattended death in the San Juan area. The reporting deputy arrived and conducted an investigation.
• A Lopez Island deputy was sent to assist the Coast Guard in the search for an unoccupied kayak reportedly found off the south end of Lopez Island near Castle Island. Several vantage points and beaches were checked.
• A deputy conducted a traffic stop in Eastsound. The driver was given an infraction for using a cell phone while driving.
• A caller contacted the sheriff’s office in reference to a vehicle prowl in the Friday Harbor area. The caller was contacted and provided a list of items taken.
• A Lopez Island deputy stopped a motorist for speeding on Center Road. He was issued a ticket.
• A Lopez deputy stopped a motorist after he saw him speeding on Mud Bay Road. The driver was issued a ticket.
• A deputy contacted a person who was illegally camping in Lopez Village. The subject stated he was unaware he could not sleep in his car overnight. The subject, who claimed he was homeless, stated he would make arrangements to move his car to his new employer’s property.
• Deputies were dispatched to Nichols Street in Friday Harbor to make contact with an intoxicated minor. The minor was taken into custody and released on a citation.
• A deputy responded to an Eastsound business for a citizen dispute. Upon arrival, one male reported that another male had threatened him. Witnesses have been sought. The suspect had left the scene prior to the deputy’s arrival.
• A deputy responded to the Friday Harbor Port in reference to a suspicious subject. Upon arrival, the subject was identified and his activity was documented.
• A deputy was dispatched to an Eastsound address in regards to an unwanted person. The subject was woken up and sent on his way as per the reporting person’s request.
• A deputy initiated a traffic stop in Friday Harbor and cited the driver for driving with a suspended license, operating without an ignition interlock and not wearing a seatbelt.
• A Lopez Island deputy was sent to check on a dead sea lion in the roadway. The sea lion, about 10 feet long and 500 pounds, was located in the surf line of the adjoining beach.
• An Orcas driver was stopped for not wearing a seatbelt. The driver also had an expired vehicle registration. The driver was cited.
• A deputy initiated a traffic stop in Friday Harbor and issued an infraction to the driver for cell phone use while driving.
• A Friday Harbor deputy was dispatched to a boating incident that occurred on April 22. A report is being completed by the owner of the boat.
• A deputy was dispatched to an overdose in Friday Harbor. The patient was transported to the medical center for further evaluation.
• A Lopez Island deputy stopped and cited a Lacey, Washington woman for speeding on Mud Bay Road.