Submitted by the Orcas Island Senior Center.
Seniors and cannabis
While our physical doors at Orcas Senior Center remain closed due to the coronavirus, our virtual doors are opening ever wider. Starting in September, a new season of the popular Meeting of the Minds lecture series is launching by Zoom!
First up is “Seniors and Cannabis: Let’s Talk on Zoom!” featuring state-certified medical cannabis consultant, Nancy Southern. Due to the great interest in Nancy’s presentation last year, we have invited her back to update us on the facts and fictions of cannabis use. Nancy’s “educate-before-you-medicate” philosophy is born out of her own personal story as well as the latest developments in cannabis. Join Nancy with an open mind and your questions Wednesday, September 16th, 1:00 to 2:00pm.
Meeting of the Minds presentations occur on the third Wednesday of month from 1:00pm to 2:00pm, September through April. To attend, go to the Zoom Activities and Events page at www.orcasseniors.org, scroll down to the event, then click “join here.” Call-in options are available for those without the required technology.
Non-profit seeks experienced bookkeeper
The Senior Services Council of San Juan County (SSCSJC) non-profit is looking for a part-time bookkeeper. Responsibilities will include:
• Management of accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, tax liabilities, reconciliation of bank account.
• Preparation of financial reports (e.g., Profit & Loss, Balance Sheet).
• Filing annual required non-profit status with the Secretary of State and real estate tax exemption.
The ideal candidate would have:
• excellent customer relation and communication skills
• at least five years bookkeeping experience including experience with non-profit corporations
• proficiency in QuickBooks and Microsoft Office, including Excel
• complete knowledge of generally accepted best accounting practices
• experience in all aspects of payroll, data entry, and record keeping
This is an independent contractor position with rate of pay commensurate with experience and comparable positions in San Juan County. Work location is available on Lopez Island, San Juan Island, or Orcas Island. To read a more detailed job description, go to https://www.orcasseniors.org/sscsjc-bookkeeper/.
Please submit resumes by September 16, 2020 to Carol at firstname.lastname@example.org.