Orcas is home to over a hundred creative Makers and their innovations are a natural part of the island lifestyle we love and cherish. On Friday, Oct. 1, come enjoy an Eastsound Makers Stroll that features products using materials grown on Orcas and in the San Juans. Local islanders and visitors are welcome to participate.
As the launch event for the annual Farm Tours, this Maker’s Stroll includes seven stops at Makers using fruits, herbs, greens, veggies, seaweed, dairy, meats and more:
• Island Thyme botanical body care – see how farm-grown herbs are distilled for use in these high-quality body care products being made on Orcas for over 30 years. The new showroom is open until 5 p.m. 310 Main.
• Darvill’s Book Store – stop in to see a great collection of books on local and regional agriculture, PNW gardening and food. Open until 5 p.m. 286 Main.
• Orcas Island Distillery – discover the brand new tasting room next to the Historical Society and learn about their award-winning spirits that feature an apple brandy made from island-grown orchard fruit. Open until 4 p.m. 123 North Beach Rd.
• Up the road, drop by Girl Meets Dirt to see the expanded location and sample their award-winning jams and learn about cutting preserves and shrubs – island fruit with surprising twists. Open until 4 p.m. 208 Enchanted Forest.
• Check out finely crafted cocktails and virgin drinks, with appetizer plates at The Barnacle and taste island-grown ingredients in new ways. Open 4-10 p.m. 249 Prune Alley.
• For collections of Orcas and San Juan Islands grown or made products, drop by the Orcas Food Coop and Island Market grocers, daily suppliers of island-made food, beverages and supplies. Coop is open until 7 p.m. at 138 North Beach. The market is open until 9 p.m. at 469 Market St off Prune Alley.
Sponsored by the San Juan Makers Guild in conjunction with the Orcas Farm Tours taking place Oct 2-3. See the Makers Stroll Map and details at sanjuanmakersguild.org or farmtourssanjuans.com . You can also pick up printed maps and Farm Tour brochures at these seven locations. Shop the Rock!