As you may have already heard, we are seeking applicants for a recent vacancy on our school board. This position was vacated mid-term and election laws of our state mandate that our board appoint someone to fill the remaining term. The term is up for election in November of 2021. In addition, the candidate that the board appoints must come from within the boundaries of Orcas Island District #2, located in the heart of Eastsound and parts southeast (please see the attached map outlining the boundaries).
You will need to be 18 years of age, a registered voter, a resident of District #2 and (of course) eligible under the state constitution to run for office. Here are some answers to some basic questions on the subject:
What is a school board’s primary responsibilities?
• Preparing for and attending board meetings.
• Responding to constituents.
• Participating in board training and development.
• Advocating for support of public education.
What does a school board do?
• Set the vision and goals for the district.
• Adopt policies that give the district direction to set priorities and achieve its goals.
• Hire and evaluate the superintendent.
• Adopt and oversee the annual budget, with guidance from the superintendent.
• Represent the community’s diverse beliefs and values.
Applications are available in the OISD District Office (behind the maple tree) or available to download from here: http://www.orcasislandschools.org/our_district/school_board
Questions? Please feel free to contact the OISD District Office by email, firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling 360-376-1510
Chair OISD Board of Directors