I’m supporting Lovel Pratt as our county council representative from San Juan Island. I like her personally, and I’m impressed with her past work on the county council, particularly in these areas:
1. Her support of The Exchange’s operation of the Orcas Transfer Station;
2. Her work on oil spill issues;
3. Her support of our opposition to the proposed coal export terminal at Cherry Point;
4. Her interest in, and presence at the first session of, the Consensus process on Orcas around school safety in the wake of the school shootings in Newtown, Conn.;
5. Her overall accessibility and responsiveness. Whenever I have contacted Lovel, she has responded in a timely fashion and addressed the issues of concern to me in a thoughtful and satisfying way.
Lovel shares my priorities in supporting strong communities, sustainable island economies, and responsible environmental stewardship of our very special islands and the waters that surround them. I want to see our islands remain healthy and beautiful and I have great confidence that Lovel will continue to work to preserve them.
I am very glad the Lovel is running for county council once again. I encourage everyone to contact Lovel, talk with her, and see what a great person and strong candidate she is.