Our communities have breathed a collective sigh of relief now that the crazy summer months are over and life has returned to a slower pace.
While we appreciate the visitors who bring us an influx of tourism dollars, it’s now time to usher our kids back into school and enjoy the changing season.
We urge you to participate in the many offerings of the 12th Annual Savor the San Juans. The campaign, which runs from Sept. 21 to Nov. 9, is sponsored by the San Juan Islands Visitors Bureau and aims to highlight what our communities have to offer during the fall. One of the goals of Savor the San Juans is to bring tourists to the islands during one of our shoulder seasons. From film festivals to a brew fest to farm tours, there is a little something for everyone.
Inside this edition, you can find a special section that highlights the events of Savor. There is also a variety of specials from local hotels and inns and restaurants.
Here is a sampling of community offerings that are open to all.
• Farmers’ Markets on Saturdays, Orcas, Lopez and San Juan Island
• Sept. 20, “Dirt Rich” Film Showing, Friday Harbor
• Sept. 21 – 22, San Juan Island Farm Tour
• Sept. 28 – 29, Orcas Island Farm Tour
• Oct. 5, Friday Harbor Fall Farm Parade
• Oct. 5 – 6, Lopez Island Farm Tour
• Oct. 10 – 14, Orcas Island Film Festival
• Oct. 25 – 27, Friday Harbor Film Festival
• Nov. 9, Hops on the Rock: Orcas Island Beer Fest, Orcas Island
With schools back in session, we wish our island students the best of luck in the coming year and plan to cheer on our hardworking youth athletes during their sports seasons. In the Sept. 18 editions, we will publish our fall sports preview. We are still securing $30 sponsors for the section.
Other upcoming specials include the San Juan County Senior Resource Guide, Women in Business and the Holiday Guide.
If you are interested in participating, give us a call or send an email. For Lopez and Orcas, contact Colleen Smith at email@example.com. For San Juan, contact Cali Bagby at firstname.lastname@example.org.