- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Parks and Rec Update | Guest column
It has been a busy startup for the Park and Recreation District and we want to let everyone know how thankful we are for all the support and assistance we have received as we get the district up and running.
It is hard to believe that it has just been two months since we got a phone (376-7275), lights, and a door. Many thanks go out to our local contractors for making the office ready for business. We are located in the northwest corner of the Funhouse Commons – just look for the sign above the door and drop by anytime. In addition to the mountain of paperwork needed to setup operations, some of our major activities have been:
- Successful completion of the fall soccer season and running club with the collaboration of the Funhouse Commons staff and the dedicated work of the volunteer coaching staff.
- Completion of the facilities lease with Orcas School District. Park and Rec can now offer facility scheduling for activities in the gyms, on the lower fields, and in several of the specialty rooms at the school.
- Completion of maintenance and safety upgrades at Buck Park, including new playground surfacing /edging, drainage improvement, irrigation repairs, and parking lot repair. A big thanks to Ron Griffin and his crew at Griffin Yard Works.
- We have inventoried the state of the skatepark and with the help of both the junior and senior skatepark volunteers we have identified the major work needed to keep the park in a safe and sustainable condition. We are working on the next steps for repairing the park this spring.
- Progress has been made on the transfer of Buck Park from the School District to the Park & Rec District. Needed reports, records, and files have been completed and we are moving closer to completing the transfer, which is necessary before Parks can begin the capital improvements to the skatepark, the well system, the fields and fencing.
- Many thanks go to Team Ian (Ian Harlow and Ian Lister) for the highly successful start to Open Gym on Friday nights. Basketball is drawing an energetic crowd of over 30 players from 9–11 p.m.
- Another wonderful volunteer is Hank Date who is leading the Wednesday night open volleyball games at the middle school gym. These evenings are open to all who want to play.
We are working with Michele Keyes on the Winter Ride Program offering a charter bus ride to Mt Baker for Saturday skiing. The program is open to the full community and it is possible to sign up for all or just a few of the six Saturday trips. Call or come in for more information and ski forms.
With the help of a committed community, Orcas Park & Rec is now ready to help make your recreational activities happen. Stop by the office or send an email to email@example.com if you have ideas for new programs. Have a wonderful holiday and thank you for your support.
OIPRD Commissioners - Bob Eagan, Martha Farish,
Jim Bredouw, Vicki Vandermay, Ian Lister
Director - Marcia West