The San Juan County Sheriff’s Office responded to the following calls:
• Two hit and runs were reported on Orcas. Reports were taken and there are no suspects at this time.
• A vessel owner was cited for staying at Westsound county dock overnight on Orcas.
• A Lopez deputy assisted in returning an elderly man with dementia to his home after an unintentionally long walk.
• A deputy responded to a reported bicycle theft in Eastsound at the Orcas Christian School. Later that day, a male, seen riding the stolen bike, was arrested. He was found to also be in possession of heroin. The bicycle was returned to his owner.
• A deputy made contact with a man who housed his dog in a car in front of his residence. The dog had water, food and was deemed as not neglected.
• A deputy was dispatched to a car accident resulting with no injuries on Orcas. After an investigation was completed the driver at fault was arrested for a DUI.
• A deputy was dispatched to a San Juan business to investigate the false use of a company business line. The investigation is in progress.
• A deputy took a report of a trespasser at a San Juan business. The trespasser was advised not to return.
• Friday Harbor deputies went to a possible assault incident. Both parties said the other person attacked them. They said the dispute was over stolen property and each accused the other of theft. Neither “witnesses” would provide a statement. The parties were advised to separate.
• A deputy was dispatched to a vehicle prowl in the Friday Harbor area. The caller reported someone entered his vessel and several items were missing. The investigation is ongoing.
• An Orcas deputy made verbal contact with a male with an outstanding misdemeanor warrant. The male accompanied the deputy to the substation where he posted bail and was given a new date to appear in court.
• An Orcas deputy responded to an aggravated assault call at Moran State Park. The suspect was arrested for assaulting a park ranger. The suspect had two county warrants. The case was forwarded to the county prosecutor’s office.
• A Roche Harbor resident called to report another incident in a long-running property dispute. This time, the neighbor had cut down fence posts to gain access to the beach. As this property is in dispute in court, a report and photographs were taken.
• A Lopez Island deputy was sent to check on a possible trespass on private property. A suspect vehicle was located on the site, but no one was found in or around the vehicle. The investigation continues.
• A Lopez Island deputy was sent to check on a possibly abandoned vehicle left in a private driveway. The vehicle was gone when the deputy arrived. Nothing appeared out of the ordinary on the property.
• The reporting deputy was dispatched to the Friday Harbor area in reference to a suspicious circumstance. The reporting deputy contacted the caller and a report was taken.
• A Seattle couple reported the theft of two rented bicycles from outside a Lopez Island business. The bicycles were reportedly locked together when they were taken.
• A Lopez Island deputy stopped a vehicle for speeding and then had to call the fire department as the violator’s vehicle appeared to catch fire. The smoke was caused by a mechanical malfunction. The driver was warned for speed, and the vehicle was secured in place.
• An Orcas deputy cited two vessels for overnight mooring at the day-use-only, West Sound county dock.
• Lopez deputies responded to a residence for a possible domestic disturbance. No crimes were alleged and parties agreed to separate for the morning.
• The reporting deputy was dispatched to a citizen dispute in the San Juan Island area. The reporting deputy arrived and contacted the involved parties.
• An Orcas Island deputy made contact with a local man in the Washington State Ferries holding lines. The man was subsequently issued an infraction for driving without a valid operator’s license.
• A vessel was found on the West Sound county dock overnight on Orcas. The vessel owner was issued an infraction.
• Orcas deputies responded to a possible accident on Raccoon Point Road. Deputies found both parties along with one of the vehicles gone on arrival and one vehicle legally parked off the roadway, which was possibly involved. An information report was completed.
• An Orcas deputy responded to a harassment call in Eastsound. Upon investigation, the deputy found the alleged suspects gone on arrival and no tangible evidence that any crime occurred. An information report was taken at the request of the caller.
• A deputy responded to a report of a drunk driver heading towards Eastsound from the ferry landing. The suspected driver was located and stopped. Further investigation revealed probable cause to arrest the driver for driving under the influence and having an active warrant out for their arrest.
• A Lopez deputy took a report of a possible squatter. An information report was taken.
• The owner of two rifles turned them into the sheriff’s office to be destroyed or sold by law enforcement.
• A deputy investigated vandalism to vehicles parked in Friday Harbor.
• An Orcas deputy responded to a report of mail theft. A package was removed from the mailbox at a residence in Eastsound. The case is under further investigation.
• A Friday Harbor father attempting to return an infant to the mother but she would not answer the door. The issue was resolved once deputies arrived.
• An Orcas Island deputy responded to a report of mail theft. The investigation is ongoing.
• A vessel was found on the West Sound county dock overnight. The vessel owner was issued an infraction.