The next Meet the Deputies gathering will be on Monday, April 22 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the Eastsound Fire Hall.
It will be addressing “Community Mental Health and Wellness Issues.”
The following topics will be covered:
• Drug use and alcoholism
• Qualifying for and accessing treatment services
• Underage marijuana and hallucinogen use, teen drug houses
• Partnerships among the Sheriff's Department, EMTs and mental health resources
• Informing general community, all residents, of Crisis Line number for mental health emergencies
• Means of dealing with people who "act strange" or make us uncomfortable and how to prevent escalation of erratic behavior into violence.
• A high school class that needs community funding on the neurobiologic affects of drugs
Undersheriff Bruce Distler and the Sheriff's office have taken the lead in continuing these discussions as an outgrowth of the “Orcas Response to Newtown” consensus group: personal responsibility, community mental health, gun safety and social inclusion were some of the broad topics on which we reached consensus.
Information about the 15 hours of consensus meetings can be found at orcaslibrary.org; search under “Orcas Response to Newtown.”