Are you one of the many people who had no idea the Port of Orcas was considering airport expansion?
• There were no documents in the public library for review (same as with the tree removal).
• There will be no public updates except by email subscription.
• Comments go to the expansion project manager, but who is providing public oversight? Is this FAA protocol?
• All “alternatives” re-route Mount Baker Road through Eastsound Swale to Enchanted Forest Road. How would that affect Lavender Hollow residents, pets, wildlife and walking trails?
• We need a carrying-capacity study and full buildout analysis before the expansion of infrastructure. (We’ve asked the county for 30 years!)
How will the monies be used?
• 10,000 deplanements get the “big” money. (One deplanement = one person departing an aircraft.) Does this data include private and military aircraft? The FAA uses enplanement data to grant monies; is that the same?
• What’s the motive to push for a more than 650-fold increase in FAA monies – from $150,000 a year to $1 million a year? What strings are attached? Who benefits?
• Is there FAA oversight to uphold citizens’ wants if the majority of us don’t want airport expansion?
• Since this expansion is not FAA mandated, why is the port going forward? Are the other islands’ airports also pushing for expansion?
• Is the port obligated to devote equal attention to marine public access, and provide public shower facilities?
• Why do we need customs and border control here? Would this mean “Homeland Security,” I.C.E. agents hunting and harassing our Latino and other immigrant friends and neighbors? Exponential militarization?
• The expansion will have serious land and marine environmental impacts. What restoration (not “mitigation”) is planned? Who will oversee that?
B. Sadie Bailey