- About Us
Holiday hits keep coming
Thursday, Nov. 29
Thanksgiving meal part two
• Free Dinner Kitchen will feature roast turkey and more. Something for everyone, including vegetarians, 5 to 7 p.m. at Emmanuel Church.
Nov. 30, Dec. 1 and Dec. 2
Islands a Cappella holiday concerts
• The Islands a Cappella singing group, with members from Orcas, Lopez and San Juan Islands and directed by Angel Michaels, will sing of Christmas cheer and reverence at three concerts:
Nov. 30 on Orcas Island at the Rosario Resort Music Room at 6 p.m. The Orcas Boys Choir will join Islands a Cappella in performance. Tickets are $10 at Darvill’s Bookstore. Seating is limited.
Dec. 1 on Lopez Island at the Lopez Center at 6 p.m.
Dec. 2 on San Juan Island at St. David’s Episcopal Church at 6 p.m.
Friday, Nov. 30 & Sat., Dec. 1
Celtic Christmas concerts
• Celtic Christmas and Orcas musicians at Orcas Island Community Church. Windham Hill artist Jeff Johnson, flutist Brian Dunning, violinist Wendy Goodwin plus additional local music both nights. Register at www.oicc-es2.eventbrite.com.
Fri., Nov. 30 to end of December
Rosario’s Festival of the Trees
• The Moran Mansion at Rosario Resort & Spa will be lit up with Christmas trees during the month of December, decorated by 10 local nonprofit organizations: Friends of Moran State Park, the Funhouse Commons, Kaleidoscope, Orcas Choral Society, Orcas Island Fire and Rescue, Farm to Cafeteria, Children’s House, Orcas Animal Protection Society, Orcas Montessori and Orcas Center.
The public will have the opportunity to vote for their favorite tree by purchasing a vote at $1 per ticket throughout the entire month of December. Each organization will receive the voting dollars, with the top three most voted trees winning additional cash prizes from Rosario Resort. All voter tickets will also be entered into a raffle to win prizes, including two roundtrip tickets from Orcas Island to Seattle on Kenmore Air with a two-night hotel stay, dinner for two at The Mansion Restaurant, and a two-month Rosario Spa pass.
The Moran Mansion is open daily from 8 a.m. – 9 p.m. Tickets may be purchased at the front desk of Rosario before touring the tree display.
To kick off the month-long fundraiser, a special open house will be held on Friday, Nov. 30 through Sunday, Dec. 2 with complimentary hot apple cider and cookies available.
Friday, Nov. 30
Orcas Family Health dinner and dance
• Orcas Family Health Center’s Dinner Dance at Orcas Center, 7 p.m. Tickets: OFHC at Airport Center, Ray’s Pharmacy, Office Cupboard, Cherie L. Lindholm Real Estate.
Nov. 30 to Dec. 8
Shop the Rock and win cash
• Shop the Rock, Eastsound. Many stores are having sales. Four $50 prizes available to shoppers. To have names entered in the contest, stop by the Chamber of Commerce office and fill out a card explaining “Why they Shop Orcas Island.”
“Our small businesses are the backbone of our economy,” said Chamber Executive Director Lance Evans.
Saturday, Dec. 1
Holiday tea at the Orcas Library
• Friends of the Library Holiday Tea, 1 to 4 p.m., enjoy cookies, chocolates and other sweets while sipping tea at the Orcas Library. Listen to holiday favorites, decorate ornaments and visit with Santa.
American Legion Holiday Bazaar
• American Legion Auxiliary annual Holiday Bazaar at the legion, located at 793 Crescent Beach Drive from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
There will be local vendors and the auxiliary bake sale and soup bistro. Winners of a basket raffle will be announced at 3 p.m.
The Magic Flute streaming
• Mozart’s masterpiece “The Magic Flute,” streaming at Orcas Center, 6:30 p.m.
Sat., Dec. 1 & Sunday Dec. 2
• Artisans Faire at Odd Fellows Hall, Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. More than 40 island artisans. Free raffle tickets for gift baskets with every purchase made at the fair. Food will be served downstairs. Info: 376-4219, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sunday, Dec. 2
Local artist showcase
• OffCenter Local Artist Showcase, OffCenter Stage, 7:30 p.m., $15, $11. Singer/songwriters Corey Wiscomb and Robb Eagle’s music is an acoustic blend of blues, country, bluegrass and folk incorporating various guitar techniques. Bridget O’Toole is a singer-songwriter who has been performing solo and with backup on Orcas Island. Fourteen-year-old singer/songwriter Madi Jane West plays acoustic guitar to accompany her songs. Rock on the Rock adult choir, led by Grace McCune, will present eclectic rock and pop holiday music.
Thursday, Dec. 6 and Friday, Dec. 7
Miro Quartet performance
• Orcas Island Chamber Music Festival presents Miro Quartet, 6 p.m. at Rosario’s music room.
Friday, Dec. 7
Tree Lighting ceremony
• Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony in the Eastsound Village Green. Seasonal music by Orcas Island Community Band, 4:45 to 5:45 p.m. Cider and cookies, visit from Santa. Tree lighting is 5 p.m. Carols, cider and more
• Following the lighting ceremony, Orcas Island Community Church invites people to see the nativity scene, sing some Christmas Carols, enjoy hot cider and eat homemade donuts from 5:30 to 7 p.m. They will also be collecting donations for the food bank.
Saturday, Dec. 8
Great Santa Saturday
• During Great Santa Saturday, meet Mr. Claus and enjoy holiday activities in Eastsound throughout the day.
Choral Society concert
• Orcas Choral Society, 7:30 p.m., Orcas Center. Tickets are $15, $5 students, www.orcascenter.org. There are many holidays at this time of year, and all have their own musical traditions. Under the direction of Roger Sherman, the Orcas Choral Society will present a program of music for each of the holidays. Joining the Choral Society will be the Turtleback Brass, a five-piece brass ensemble led by Steve Alboucq.
• 21st Annual Spiral Walk, Odd Fellows Hall, 3-5 p.m.
Santa is coming to town
• Santa is coming to Deer Harbor Marina, 9:45 a.m. to noon. He will arrive by boat and kids can go to the Deer Harbor Community Club to receive a toy and enjoy treats. Sponsored by the women’s auxiliary of Deer Harbor; donations are accepted. The event is for ages baby to 12.
Sunday, Dec. 9
Choral Society concert
• Orcas Choral Society, 2 p.m., Orcas Center. Tickets are $15, $5 students.
Santa is coming to town
• Lions Club Christmas Ship at Orcas Landing, 11:20 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.; Shaw, ferry Landing 1-1:45 p.m.; Blakely, Blakely store, 2:15-3 p.m.; Lopez, Odlin Park, 3:15-4:15 p.m.; Decatur, library 4:45-5:15 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 15
Community Band concert
• Orcas Community Band. Orcas Center, 2 p.m., songs of the season plus traditional band music. By donation.
Sunday, Dec. 16
• Christmas Musical, 9 a.m and 10:30 a.m., Orcas Is. Community Church.
Orcas Brass concert
• Orcas Brass, 2 p.m. Music of the season at Orcas Island Community Church.