Local merchants to host ‘Great Hoppin’ Saturday’
April 6, 2012 · Updated 4:44 PM
The merchants of Eastsound have again joined forces to present a free holiday event for the enjoyment of both locals and visitors alike. The “Great Hoppin’ Saturday” Easter gathering is planned for Saturday, April 7.
“This is just the sort of old-fashioned event that small towns like Eastsound were once famous for,” said Jeffri Coleman, one of the event organizers and local shop owner. “I grew up with this sort of community involvement, and luckily, it still remains in towns like ours. So lots of our local shops are eager to continue the tradition!”
There is also a photo contest for kids ages zero to 15 and 15 to 20. The theme is “Celebrate.” Pick up entry forms the day of the event at the “plaza” in front of The Nest and Jillery.
Schedule of events
11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Eggs, critters and cookies at Wildflour Bakery. Easter Egg decorating, egg-shaped cookie decorating and live bunnies and baby lambs for petting.
• Parasol and bonnet decorating at Moon Glow.
• Pictures with the Easter bunny at The Nest.
• Old fashioned hay rides in the Downtown Eastsound loop. Bonnet and parasol show and tractor-pulled hay-wagon rides.
• Story Telling at Darvill’s Bookstore.